Reality Strikes
After reading NETS and taking the UNI surveys, I am greatly overwhelmed and deeply humbled. I suppose I used to believe a teacher didn't need to be proficient in the latest technology, but my feelings have changed dramatically. I had an overwhelming sense of inadequacy realizing I didn't even understand some of the concepts, let alone feel qualified to teach them. If I was a teacher right now, I'm afraid I would fall short and be a very poor example for my students.
Strengths: I professionally create family and wedding videos, which I thoroughly enjoy. I spend lots of my time researching topics I'm interested in. I use my computer as a directory and encyclopedia. Most of all, while living in Australia, I was grateful for webcam, instant messaging, and e-mail.
Weaknesses: Although I have spent countless hours browsing the internet, I have always relied on my computer-expert husband to pre-load and download for me. I have never even attempted to design software, although I've had lots of ideas of what I would like to do. There are so many people who know what they're doing and how to do it better, that I figured it wasn't worth learning.
I now know I must become educated so that I will not only be a good example, but also teach my future students. It'll be a challenge to become as talented as students are today as they seem to be born having the extra smarts needed for today's technological world. However, reality is that they are constantly surrounded by new advances at home, school, and in every part of their life.
Students Dream Our Future
I enjoyed reading what students would like for their future learning. Although hand-held computers and voice recognition, and chewing gum for learning all seem like impossibilities, I know for a fact that the first two will eventually be realized probably used in the classroom before long.
It scares me to think that in this world of quickly growing technology, teachers will need to take on a completely new role. I believe there will always be a need for teachers in the classroom to direct students, and personal interaction is critical for individuals. Without it individuals would become more isolated and our world could suffer. Eventually books will no longer be necessary, and everyone will communicate through special phone devices. All school assigments will be done on-line. Parents will probably not need to take much of a role in their child's education, as the computer will step in and do their job of supporting the student. All parents will need to do is provide a roof over their child's head!My conclusion is that teachers MUST become comfortable with not only talking the talk, but also walking the walk. There were several interesting points mentioned in the video:
- the top 10 jobs in demand for 2010 didn't even exist in 2004
- currently we are preparing students for jobs that don't yet exist
- they will be using technology that hasn't yet been invented in order to solve problems that we don't even know are problems yet
In my husband's career in computers as a data base administrator/programmer and analyst, it has been very stressful for him to keep up. He is constantly updating his skills in order to keep up with the changing technology. Although he makes a good living now, he feels threatened by the new college grads who are flooding the computer world. It was stated that new technology information now doubles every two years, which leaves everyone scrambling to continue learning.
Millennial
I was very interested to read The Millennial and learn about the children of today. They have been raised in a different world from past generations. Not only do they have modern technology available to them, but they know how to use it. This is why it is even more important to jump on the bandwagon and become a techie. I don't believe future teachers will be successful unless they make the changes necessary in our world of technology.
My Goals
I have spent a lot of time in the past surfing the net, gathering information for my own personal satisfaction, however I lack the language necessary to communicate proficiently in our computer world. This is where I will begin my education. I feel it is important to understand the language so that I can communicate and continue to further my education. I believe it will be very important to stay abreast of the continually changing lessons and activities available that I can share with students. This means I will need to spend my time more effectively while using the computer. I will need to learn how to manuever my way through the different programs, knowing when to move on and not dwell on the unnecessary information.
Looking Ahead
In my life I've always been involved with special needs children, so I am always subconsciously aware of new available learning tools. However, I believe I can better use the internet in this area also, to find links on the newest developed adaptive devices. Considering the way schools are moving toward integrating students, adapting lessons will become even more necessary. The continually new computer software will become my best resource in every area of teaching. I want to stay on top of the newest ideas, share them, and use them to better enhance the lives of my students. I'm sure I will be using the tried and true teaching methods as I begin my teaching career. However, I plan to bring new technology into the classroom on a regular basis. I anticipate from my former experience and time in classrooms that some teachers may have a difficult time switching it up.
Helps
I hope to be an example and help by learning myself and then encouraging others to learn how simple and necessary new technology is .For my students, I will use links such as student subject guides to help me teach them the many new operations available, and for them to be able to access regularly. As a teacher I will continually be looking for updated information, teacher helps , to assist me in knowing how to do everything that is new and upcoming. I'm very excited about becoming proficient with computers, along with other technology, and hope to take the challenge head on knowing I will succeed. This blog is the simple beginning of a new techie...ME!
No comments:
Post a Comment